Cleveland, Ohio is known for a lot of things, and one of them is having the best fish fry in the region. Whether you’re craving for fried catfish, fish and chips, or a fish sandwich, this city has got you covered with its delicious offerings.
The Origins of Fish Fry
The tradition of fish fry can be traced back to the Roman Catholic practice of abstaining from eating meat during Lent. As a way to still enjoy good food while following religious observances, Catholics would eat fish instead. The practice eventually spread to non-Catholics and became a popular Friday night meal in many communities.
The Best Fish Fry in Cleveland
When it comes to finding the best fish fry in town, Clevelanders have a lot of options to choose from. Some of the most popular spots include:
1. Sokolowski’s University Inn: This family-owned restaurant has been serving up Polish and Eastern European cuisine since 1923. Their fish fry is a must-try, featuring beer-battered haddock served with fries and coleslaw.
2. The South Side: This trendy restaurant in Tremont offers a modern take on classic pub food. Their fish and chips are made with beer-battered cod and served with tartar sauce and malt vinegar aioli.
3. Parkview Nite Club: This neighborhood bar in the Detroit-Shoreway area is known for its laid-back atmosphere and delicious fish fry. Their beer-battered cod is crispy on the outside and flaky on the inside.
Other Places to Try
If you’re looking for more options, here are some other places to try:
1. The Harp: This Irish pub in Ohio City serves up a hearty fish and chips dish made with beer-battered cod and served with fries and coleslaw.
2. Red Lantern Kitchen & Bar: This Asian-inspired restaurant in downtown Cleveland offers a unique twist on the traditional fish fry. Their fish and chips are made with tempura-battered cod and served with a side of wasabi peas.
3. The Flying Fig: This farm-to-table restaurant in Ohio City uses locally-sourced ingredients to create their delicious fish fry. Their beer-battered cod is served with hand-cut fries, house-made tartar sauce, and coleslaw.
Tips for Enjoying Fish Fry
Before you head out to enjoy some delicious fish fry in Cleveland, here are some tips to keep in mind:
1. Know what you’re ordering: Fish fry can mean different things to different people. Make sure to ask what kind of fish is being used and how it’s prepared.
2. Get there early: Many restaurants only serve fish fry on Fridays and can get crowded quickly. Arrive early to avoid long waits.
3. Try something new: While traditional fish and chips are always a safe bet, don’t be afraid to try something new and adventurous.
Whether you’re a Cleveland native or just passing through, be sure to try the city’s best fish fry offerings. With so many delicious options to choose from, you won’t be disappointed.